XO-XS backups

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu May 15 23:23:18 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 3:04 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Indeed - working on [backups] right now.
>
> Great.   What approach are you taking (new thread, perhaps ?)

At this stage, I am slowly hacking on ds-backup.py. My plan so far is to

 - Simplify ds-backup to
   - do a simple check of protocol & availability against the server
   - dump *all* the metadata
   - rsync all files & metadata (instead of pre-computed lists)

 - Control guest users with rssh or similar on the XS

 - On rsync completion, make a hardlinked snapshot on the XS

 - Expire old hardlinked snapshots - reduce granularity of snapshots
past age N, and completely remove snapshots older than M.

Planned restore mechanisms:
 - Full restore of user data, triggered from a web UI request
 - Journal can browse the XS via sftp
 - Web-based "bundle" restores

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com