CIPA done

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Sat May 10 01:55:36 EDT 2008

I don't know why Hal... that was not one of my suggestions to the law.

Been in the law is not a guarantee that is related to justice or related
to technical stuff.

Be totally sure that the kids will disable the filters by themselves...
(go kids! :-)  )

but the problem is the same: we need to provide some filtering software
to be installed on the
XO.  It is the law.  If we don't agree then we need to change the law,
but if the law stays the
same then we have to follow the law.

This could be a design:

a) The teacher takes a XO, or use the XO of one pupil, and update a
table of "forbidden" sites
from the internet database (there are many).
b) The other XOs take the data from the main XO (or from the XServer if
you want or need).
c) Every XO will have a small "take this port - send to other port" and
filter the stuff in the middle.
web protocols are easily available and no hard at all.  There is plenty
of "open sourced" servers
(for all the protocols) that can be modified to do this task
d) Every XO will tell to the teacher's XO if it is "running" the
"filtering software".  If not every
teacher must take appropriate measures (it is on the teacher hands and
responsibility, it is the law,
we just need to provide the filtering software).

I am sure that there are better designs and proposals from the
collectivity here.

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru
(some people doesn't like when I am passing the voice about bad news,
they think that I am
playing the role of Devil's advocate by wrong reasons.  But that is a
training and needed role
in any serious law school.  If not... then you are a "cash" lawyer (one
that get his bills paid from
presenting at the court but it is not ready to win the case).