very simple datastore reimplementation

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Fri May 9 14:26:08 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 12:10:07PM -0600, Jameson Chema Quinn wrote:
> To be more clear about this use case: I think that there should definitely
> be a way for the onboard datastore to store the metadata for an absent file,
> with hints about what place(s) to find that file (networked backup, sd
> cards, usb devices) and how to recognize it when you do. This should include
> the possibility for offloading old intermediate versions. Then, even when
> you do not have access to the backup storage, you can see what you are
> missing. This makes the result of suddenly yanking the SD card out more
> well-defined (assuming no filesystem corruption), and means you do not ever
> have to merge/separate two indexes (there is just one index).

I was surprised to read this. My opinion is that the index should only
include files which are available on local storage. Otherwise the index
can fill up with broken links, and it will be difficult to explain why
the broken links don't work. Access to backups is a good idea, but not
via such a by-default mechanism.