very simple datastore reimplementation

Bob Hampton bobh at optimizations.com
Fri May 9 13:45:25 EDT 2008

As an external developer/observer - I would like to see the SD supported
as an extension of DS space, whereas USB should definitely be considered
removable (seeing as how I can't close the lid with them in :-).  That
some might want SD to be removable would make that an optioned behavior,
but I doubt a lot of people need that right now (since the SD is
moderately difficult to remove).

What makes the backup/restore different from a typical removable device
is that backup/restore is contextually the things already (or should
have been) on the XO while the removable devices contain things that are
by definition transient/external to the XO.  Although it would be great
to be able to have a set of USB keys containing significant data
content, images, maps that would be easily accessible from activities.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the case needing forth to
extract files from the XO to a non-XO device - at that point expertise
is required and tools should be available.  While it is a good thing to
be human accessible, we wouldn't have databases at all if accessibility
was the only thing.

Just my 2cents - disregard as appropriate :-)

BTW, great work guys - the XO and it's software is a grand experiment
and it is a pleasure to be involved no matter how small.

Regards,
Bob