very simple datastore reimplementation

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Fri May 9 12:11:40 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
> FUSE is great, but...
>
> It means interoperability must be an explicit planned-in-advance action:
> if a datastore is already on a removable device in your pocket, and you
> need to access something on a foreign system, you are stuck unless there
> is some minimal level of human interpretability of the file system...
>
> Instead, you have to dig up a system with FUSE/olpcfs installed, and
> then copy the files to a conventional file structure.
>
> This is the use case that's hard to get around.

Ok, I think I see now where is the misunderstanding.

In the first post in this thread, I tried to explain that this
proposal would use removable devices in the same way they are used in
other systems and that the DS would have nothing to do with them:

[...] we get an useful replacement that lacks:

- Support for mounting removable datastores. We have agreed on moving
to just list the files in removable devices, without the DS having
anything to do. Although extending the DS capacity with SD cards is an
interesting feature, it brings many non-trivial issues that make this
a longer term feature.

[end of quote]

Scott has given some hints about how olpcfs would store files in
removable devices, and I think that his proposal is sufficient for
you, right?

Thanks,

Tomeu