[Its.an.education.project] An OLPC Development Model

Bobby Powers bobbypowers at gmail.com
Fri May 9 09:30:10 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpgritti at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:32 AM,  <david at lang.hm> wrote:
> > what about Sugar software running as well as possible on normal linux
> > boxes? without having to install the full sugar package and run
> > everything under sugar in one window. this doesn't mean that some
> > libraries won't need to be installed, but like running QT apps on a Gnome
> > desktop, you install the QT libraries, not all of KDE (and similarly
> > running gtk apps on a KDE destop you don't install all of gnome)
>
> Not possible at the moment but it's on the plan too.
>
> The way I see it it is somewhat of a two way street.  Personally, if I'm
going to run Sugar apps in Gnome I would prefer them to integrate nicely
with my other apps, just as I would prefer apps running in Sugar to be
'sugary'.  In this case the burdon falls on the shoulders of the activity
developers.  From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong!)
Abiword is a good example - the text editor canvas is encapsolated as its
own widget, and both the Gnome Abiword and the sugar activity use it in
their respective user interfaces.  So nice modular UI code should make
maintaing a Gnome and a Sugar version of a program relatively painless.
Again, please correct me if I'm wrong - I've been planning out what I want
to do with a new activity and this is what I seem to have arrived at, if
peoples experiences are different it could save me some headache...

As for the sharing stuff, I know you can download and use the telepathy
libs, but would you also need a presence service running?  Could this be
automatically started when an app wants to collaborate, or is it something
that would have to be running in the background beforehand?

yours,
Bobby