very simple datastore reimplementation

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Thu May 8 14:15:31 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 7:55 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
>  Clearly she can spend weeks scrolling around in the Journal looking for
>  specific things and manually copying them out to a USB stick.  But can't
>  she export the whole thing in bulk?

As Tomeu pointed out this is already addressed by the FUSE layer. And
we should probably have this functionality exposed in the UI too
anyway.

>  Is her work merely lost, because it's all filed under deliberately
>  randomized names?  The OLPC never encouraged her to use names for her
>  documents, anyway;

This is a real problem. I think Eben has some ideas on how to
encourage naming more effectively, but we will have to play with
those.

>  and when she took the trouble to name an important
>  document, the system saved 40 different versions of it, as she worked
>  on it and then closed her laptop.  Which is latest?

I don't see the problem here, the datastore knows which is the latest
version. In the simplest case the export process could just always
take the tip.

Marco