An OLPC Development Model

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Thu May 8 12:22:06 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> An appcast-like approach, where one could point to different feeds,
> such as the Peru default, the G1G1 default, etc. is intriguing. But we
> need to also consider connectivity limitations that many of our users
> will/do experience. It might be interesting to be able to turn any XO
> into a feed for other XOs.

Indeed.  The "worst case" I had in my head was that the only available
feed might come from the school server, so that at least while at
school kids have access to all the activities the school makes
available.  Coming up with a means of "sniffing out" all of the
activities available in the Neighborhood around you (as opposed to
specifically setting an XO up to provide a feed) could also be quite
interesting.  There, however, we somewhat overlap with the ability to
discover new things in the Neighborhood view itself (requires
transparent code sharing, of course, but that's a goal of ours) and/or
send files from XO to XO directly (requires object transfer, but
that's a goal of ours), which makes that a lower priority in my mind.
I certainly feel that a one-click way to reach *some* feed of
activities, with one-click to download/install those chosen would
really improve our environment.

We could also discuss how updates work....perhaps there are two views
in the "get more activities" dialog, one of which only shows available
updates to already installed activities.

- Eben