[Its.an.education.project] Sugar on the EEE PC

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu May 8 03:17:41 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 2:25 AM, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bernie Innocenti writes:
>
> >  http://www.one2onemate.com/
>
> This is optimized for teacher thinking. They win. :-(

Yuck.  Surely you are joking...  I find it hard to be inspired by any aspect
of that machine.

The GUI and apps are superior, at least from the viewpoint of
> a school system. You get an Excel-compatible spreadsheet,
> a Word-compatible word processor, Tux Paint, Flash player, and a
> desktop that hasn't been inspired to the point of unusability.

While it is true they have a spreadsheet and crude typing tutor, both GUI
and apps seem pretty awful.  And I don't know what to say about the demo
photos with paper imitations of the display, and children using the
'display' under a tree.  The whole strikes me as hard to fix, whether or not
it is dropkickable.

SJ