CIPA done

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed May 7 16:28:37 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Joshua N Pritikin <jpritikin at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 04:17:04PM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
>  > On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Joshua N Pritikin <jpritikin at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > >  That doesn't mean it's a good idea to allow them to read filthy stories.
>  > >  It's one thing to comply with the law, but we should try to comply with
>  > >  the spirit of the law. I don't want to invite an attack on OLPC by
>  > >  Christian conservatives. OLPC has enough problems already.
>  >
>  > My opinion on this matters little as a designer, but my understanding
>  > is that OLPC's policy has been and should continue to be neutral on
>  > this beyond anything required by law.  We don't want to invite attacks
>  > on OLPC by those who think that we're limiting freedom by censorship
>  > either.
>
>  That accusation is easily addressed by adding a wiki page describing how
>  to bypass the filter. The question we are discussing is what we can do
>  by default for kids who are too young to take responsibility. I believe
>  we MUST error on the conservative side, especially for American
>  deployments.

I guess what I was attempting to say was that the approach of OLPC to
taking said responsibility might be to make suggestions to deployments
about potential solutions to this problem, instead of choosing our own
direction and forcing it on everyone.  But again, I'm unqualified to
argue the point any further, so I'll back out and let those who know
better decide what's appropriate. =)

- Eben