NYC schools and cloaked APs

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Wed May 7 13:05:23 EDT 2008

2008/5/3 Ricardo Carrano <carrano at laptop.org>:
> NYC schools use cloaked access points to provide wireless connectivity.
> We currently do not support cloaked APs (and ... ok, they hardly provide any
> additional security).

>From looking through the code, the most elegant & supportable solution
seems to be to be to extend the results returned by NetworkManager's
"get networks" dbus interface (code in
/usr/share/sugar/shell/hardware/nmclient.py) to include a number of
'statically configured' networks from ~olpc/.configuration/networks.
Once nmclient's datastructure is extended in this way, the rest of the
UI and nmclient code should work 'as is' to display these networks in
the mesh view and allow connections to them.

Another alternative is to simply hack some dbus-send commands into
rc.local to force NetworkManager to connect to the proper network.

Ricardo, Blake's asked for more information to help work on the
NetworkManager side of this.  Is it just a cloaked AP, or is there
WEP/WPA/WPA2 involved, etc?
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )