very simple datastore reimplementation

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Wed May 7 11:33:50 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
>  >  [olpc at xo-0C-D0-FF ~]$ ls
>  >  ~/.sugar/default/datastore2/01/012beac5-9d4e-477e-848d-d7ef6a731fca/extra_metadata/
>  >  preview
>
>  Are there still good reasons to keep the preview separate? If I
>  remember correctly the main reason to do it was to reduce the index
>  size (and so improve performance). Storing it with the normal metadata
>  would still affect performance?

AFAIK, binary data cannot be stored inside a json file without
encoding, that's why it is stored outside.

I'm currently suspecting that even python-cjson is too slow for us, in
that case we may move to some custom format that could include binary
data inside, although we would like to keep the rest as text.

But even then, I see value in having a text only file with binary data
outside, looks much more clear to me and we could avoid text editors
corrupting the binary sections.

Thanks,

Tomeu