[Its.an.education.project] An OLPC Development Model

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed May 7 09:17:40 EDT 2008

On Tue, 6 May 2008, david at lang.hm wrote:

> ubuntu takes packages maintaned externally and picks what version of each of
> those packages to put in the main distro. the versions of these seperate
> packages are almost entirely independant of each other. they then do a lot of
> testing and some development of adminitrative tools and ship the result.
>
> unfortunantly much of the OLPC development has seemed to be against the idea
> of having external software run unmodified on sugar, and the resulting work
> to get anything running will hurt this model.

Again: what makes Sugar different from Linux?

The ability to interact *everywhere*, and to share *every activity* by
default.  That interactivity basically defines what an activity *is*.

Yes, this severely restricts the amount of software that can run on Sugar.
But again: the whole world of FLOSS educational software can run on Linux
just fine.

If we're just (badly) reinventing a new WM, what's the point?

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager