Mesh testing

Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos ypod at mit.edu
Mon May 5 12:05:56 EDT 2008

Bill Mccormick wrote:
> If nobody else is doing this, I'll volunteer.   It'll be a couple of
> days though, I'm just starting.

Awesome! If you do take up this unpleasant, though critical task here
are my suggestions:

Like I said before, when a user reports that "the network does not
work", this may be due to a whole lot of reasons. Being able to
consistently identify which part of the "network stack" (firmware,
driver, NetworkManager, presence stack) is malfunctioning is not
feasible anytime soon, so we better make sure that each individual layer
is this network stack has been thoroughly tested. I would suggest doing
so in two dimensions: scalability and stability.

Scalability: Making it work on 5 machines is one thing, making it work
on 50 is another! Please test on as many machines as possible.

Stability: Similarly, we should aim for at some 5 hours of continuous
and stable operation.

We currently do _not_ meet these requirements and from an activity point
of view, the network look like an .... omelet rather than distinct yoke
and white!!!

Pol

--
Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos