olpc build environment

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Thu May 1 11:03:24 EDT 2008

Hi Bill,

   > Can you advise, is the current build environment still Fedora 6 as
   > suggested on this wiki page:

   > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Rebuilding_OLPC_kernel

   > or have you moved to something newer?

Yes, we're still using FC6 on our build server.  I built a kernel with
F8 yesterday, though, and had to make two changes:

* GNU tar no longer allows you to (e.g.) "tar xf foo.tar '*.h'" without
  adding a --wildcards before the pattern.  In the specfile, change:
    'linux-2.6.[0-9][0-9]/Makefile'
    --wildcards 'linux-2.6.[0-9][0-9]/Makefile'

* The debuginfo packaging failed.  Adding:
    %define _enable_debug_packages 0
  to the top of the specfile disables that part of the build, and
  produced a working kernel package.

Hope that helps.

- Chris.
--