Mini-conference on Apr 3/4!

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Sun Mar 30 17:40:52 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:58 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
>  Since most of the participants are local, we'll be having our
>  conference at the OLPC offices at 1 Cambridge Center next Thursday and
>  Friday (April 3 and 4).  Tentative plan is for talks from 12-6pm, then
>  dinner, and then informal discussion in the evenings. The community is
>  welcome!

Is there any reason to be those days? I'm afraid I won't be able to
attend in person, due to the little time given in advance.

If we are going to have the discussions with a significant part of the
team assisting remotely, then I think the talk schedule should
consider that. Problems I see:

- after two hours of conf call, my head hurts and cannot follow the
discussion any more. Other people feel the same?
- 6pm EDT is midnight in most of Europe
- when lots of people are in a meeting room, not enough care is
usually given when talking, so people on the phone cannot follow.

Also, I have seen that most proposals have received little attention
in the mailing lists. Is people waiting for the real meeting or too
busy, or ...?

Suggestions:

- give more time for people to plan their travel and to round their
talk proposals,
- schedule the talks in a more convenient way for people not there,
- just have the "talks" via mailing list and IRC?

>  For proposers: I'd appreciate if you could organize your talks roughly
>  as follows:
>   * background material ("what is a mesh network")
>   * history & current state of affairs ("what currently works? what doesn't?")
>   * open tasks, both "simple matters of programming" and "hard problems
>  no one has a clue about"
>   * concrete proposal for forward progress.

I like this, any chance people could send to the ml more detail about
their proposals in the way outlined above? That could revive
discussions. I will do so tomorrow.

Thanks,

Tomeu