Mini-Conference Proposal: Frameworks for Collaboration

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sat Mar 29 13:16:42 EDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 1:47 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>  We will have an open discussion of how to build a framework that will ease the
>  creation of reliable collaborative activities.  I will also outline a proposal
>  for "Collisionless", a particular message-based API that encompasses both
>  real-time and offline collaboration.  The key idea of Collisionless is to break
>  down high-level tasks into a sequence of messages whose significance does not
>  depend on the order in which they are received.

Hmm.  I've always thought of a high-level framework here as based on a
shared undo/redo list, since most mature applications support
undo/redo.  The idea is that we provide the necessary distributed
consensus algorithms to allow all participants to agree on the order
of the entries in their undo/redo list; anyone who had actions applied
in the wrong order performs undos, then redos to adjust their order.
When you present your proposal, I'd love to hear a comparison to this
approach.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )