Fwd: Tkinter in olpc

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Fri Mar 28 10:42:59 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jameson Chema Quinn <jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu>
Date: Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: Tkinter in olpc
To: Noah Kantrowitz <kantrn at rpi.edu>

2008/3/27 Noah Kantrowitz <kantrn at rpi.edu>:

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > Does anyone have and opinion on whether python's Tkinter facility could
> > be added to python on the XO by simply copying the contents of lib-tk
> > from an f7 system?
>
> Why in the name of all that is good would we do that? I would rather
> curses to a Tk GUI most of the time. GTK works fine.
>
> --Noah
>
> The obvious reason would be to test or even use a Tk-based app. Obviously
it would need to be ported before becoming an activity (though a temporary
hack would be to include tk in the activity directory and run the activity
from a shell which first did "export LD_PRELOAD".)

The question is, what tk-based app? IDLE? Wouldn't you prefer Develop?

As to how, I would definitely try yum install before copying directories
willy-nilly.

Jameson