Sharing behavior in the core Read activity

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Thu Mar 27 12:47:00 EDT 2008

John,

This week I finally got everything in sugar-jhbuild to compile.  The
Browse activity is the only thing that doesn't work.  It can't find a
Mozilla library file.  In any case, I was able to get my Read Etexts
activity to share reliably.  My activity saves the file to the journal
if it knows that the file was shared by someone else instead of being
loaded from the Journal.

I am using exactly the same code, as far as I can tell, in the View
Slides activity.  That activity does not do sharing reliably at all.  On
the receiving side it complains that no tubes are available.  On the
sending side it complains about invalid parameters.  Yet this activity
is doing exactly the same thing that Read Etexts is doing: sending a Zip
file from one copy of an Activity to another.  The only difference I can
see is that the size of the Zip file is much smaller in Read Etexts.
The few times I have gotten sharing to work it has been with a smaller
file (The Tale Of Miss Kitty).  Even this file doesn't work every time.

If you or anyone else has some insight into what might be failing here
I'd love to hear it.  At the moment I'm stuck.  I have published a
version of Read Etexts that has sharing code.  I'd like to be able to do
the same with View Slides.

James Simmons