[sugar] Mini-Conference Proposal: Toolbars & Tabs (or lack thereof)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 20:51:18 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Here I'd have to say that, despite the knowledge that all activities
>  will run fullscreen, we should try to avoid developing to a particular
>  piece of hardware (and it's resolution).

Hmmm. That sounds impossible. Your examples show that with that layout
(and a wide URL/Title widget) we are limited to 2 toolbar icons, 3 if
we shrink the icons. So the app will be designed to have 3 toolbars,
because the 4th will force a "reflow" to the next row that will be
horrendously wasteful.

For these kinds of reasons, in real life we all optimise UIs for
actual screen sizes. Doesn't make me happy, but it's one of the
constraints that hurts the most, so the best UIs are extensively
tweaked to make the most of the limited resource.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions