UI responsiveness

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 22:20:37 EDT 2008

Mikus Grinbergs writes:

>> ...  Performance, or for us, UI responsiveness, the most visible
>> and painful issue being start up time of applications is paramount.
>
> I'm impressed by the start up time of the (giant) TuxPaint activity.
>
> From the time I click on its icon in the Frame, it takes about
> two seconds to draw the initial view.  Then a tune is played,
> and the screen is populated with tool icons (and the latest
> drawing).  In less than 15 seconds *everything* has been
> initialized - but the user has not perceived that wait, since
> things kept happening.
>
> This is on Joyride -- shows what can be done *today*.

Thanks. I was wondering if I ought to mention that one.
(since I'm behind the XO port and may be a wee bit biased)

Other than scanning for font files in a background process,
there isn't any magic going on here. We just wrote tolerable
code in the standard programming language.

BTW, the size of Tux Paint can be adjusted. The truly fearsome
source of bloat is localized audio descriptions of the stamps.
Starter images are another big source.