Nortel LearniT animations (Seth Woodworth)

Hal Murray hmurray at
Mon Mar 24 00:12:52 EDT 2008

> I agree that the long-term strategy should be to support Gnash and/or
> get Adobe to open up their Flash player.

I thought Adobe already opened up.

> Wednesday, December 6, 2006

>  The Adobe Flash Player is almost universally available on desktop
> computers, yet many people are not even aware of its existence or of
> its capabilities.

> It is a client application that is accessible within most web browsers
> and features support for vector and raster graphics, audio and video
> streaming and a scripting language; ActionScript.

> The scripting language is executed by a virtual machine (VM), the
> internals of which, will be the focus of this talk.

> I will also talk about Adobe's recent release of the source code of
> this VM to the open source community along with Mozilla's plan for
> embedding this module into the Firefox web browser.

Am I missing something?

My memory from the talk is that ActionScript == ECMAScript == Javascript.

Flash sends a compiled version of the script so it's obfuscated enough that
you can't easily see what it is doing.

Here is Mozilla's version of the press release:

SAN FRANCISCO -- November 7, 2006 -- Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE)
and the Mozilla Foundation, a public-benefit organization dedicated to
promoting choice and innovation on the Internet, today announced that Adobe
has contributed source code for the ActionScript^(TM) Virtual Machine, the
powerful standards-based scripting language engine in Adobe® Flash® Player,
to the Mozilla Foundation. Mozilla will host a new open source project,
called Tamarin, to accelerate the development of this standards-based
approach for creating rich and engaging Web applications.

The Tamarin project will implement the final version of the ECMAScript
Edition 4 standard language, which Mozilla will use within the next
generation of SpiderMonkey, the core JavaScript engine embedded in Firefox®,
Mozilla's free Web browser. As of today, developers working on SpiderMonkey
will have access to the Tamarin code in the Mozilla CVS repository via the
project page located at Contributions to
the code will be managed by a governing body of developers from both Adobe
and Mozilla.