Mini-Conference Proposal: removable activities

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon Mar 24 14:04:36 EDT 2008

This is probably too complex to implement soon.  But please keep the
*idea* in mind as you improve the OLPC laptop.

Once the 'base system' has been installed, things that are typically
added over time are data and executables.  Sooner or later, the
built-in "disk space" might run out.  There is a design for
off-loading excess data to the school server.  It would be an useful
"expansion capability" to be able to access added executables that
are somewhere other than on the built-in "disk".  [When there are
400 activities available, I'd probably want to try most of them.]

Currently, activities reside in /home/olpc/Activities.  What I am
thinking of is an equivalent to the 'mount/umount' process - it
would ADD a table of the activities in the designated directory to
the path used to access XO activities.  [My idea is that if the
contents of this added directory were to change, it would have to be
re-accessed in order to pick up those changes.]

For security reasons, to be recognized the activities in this
additional directory ought to be signed.  "Temporary space" used by
an added activity would be allocated from within this same directory
(i.e., device).  If the added directory/device were removed
unexpectedly, I'd let the associated activities fail;  a sugar
restart should clean any "garbage" they left.

mikus