Nortel LearniT animations (Seth Woodworth)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Mar 24 00:12:52 EDT 2008

> I agree that the long-term strategy should be to support Gnash and/or
> get Adobe to open up their Flash player.

I thought Adobe already opened up.

From:
  http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee380/Abstracts/061206.html

> Wednesday, December 6, 2006

>  The Adobe Flash Player is almost universally available on desktop
> computers, yet many people are not even aware of its existence or of
> its capabilities.

> It is a client application that is accessible within most web browsers
> and features support for vector and raster graphics, audio and video
> streaming and a scripting language; ActionScript.

> The scripting language is executed by a virtual machine (VM), the
> internals of which, will be the focus of this talk.

> I will also talk about Adobe's recent release of the source code of
> this VM to the open source community along with Mozilla's plan for
> embedding this module into the Firefox web browser.

Am I missing something?

My memory from the talk is that ActionScript == ECMAScript == Javascript.

Flash sends a compiled version of the script so it's obfuscated enough that
you can't easily see what it is doing.

Here is Mozilla's version of the press release:
  http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/press/mozilla-2006-11-07.html

SAN FRANCISCO -- November 7, 2006 -- Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE)
and the Mozilla Foundation, a public-benefit organization dedicated to
promoting choice and innovation on the Internet, today announced that Adobe
has contributed source code for the ActionScript^(TM) Virtual Machine, the
powerful standards-based scripting language engine in Adobe® Flash® Player,
to the Mozilla Foundation. Mozilla will host a new open source project,
called Tamarin, to accelerate the development of this standards-based
approach for creating rich and engaging Web applications.

The Tamarin project will implement the final version of the ECMAScript
Edition 4 standard language, which Mozilla will use within the next
generation of SpiderMonkey, the core JavaScript engine embedded in Firefox®,
Mozilla's free Web browser. As of today, developers working on SpiderMonkey
will have access to the Tamarin code in the Mozilla CVS repository via the
project page located at www.mozilla.org/projects/tamarin/. Contributions to
the code will be managed by a governing body of developers from both Adobe
and Mozilla.