Mini-Conference Proposal: sugar performance

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Sun Mar 23 13:13:32 EDT 2008

What I see we can do in the short/medium term:

- Launch python activities in a preinitialized python interpreter, may
save memory too.

- Move datastore and sharing initialization later after the UI has
been launched, the user won't be able to start working sooner, but
will be given a better idea of the launching process (will feel
faster).

- Use composition, so we save some redraws that currently make the UI
to feel sluggish. Also will allow to take previews of hidden windows
and that will improve considerably the switching from one activity to
another. Will take some more memory.

- Datastore: is currently indexing much more information than the
really needed, this slows indexing, searching and retrieving. Also,
the metadata is stored in a pickled dictionary inside a b-tree. Having
to unpickle the whole dictionary for retrieving just a couple of
properties is surprisingly costly.

Tomeu