New long range router! :-)

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Wed Mar 19 11:48:07 EDT 2008

_Future problems with peruvian law of telecomunication.  They will arise
in 2 or 3 years.  (don't read if you don't need it).
_
Those "60 miles devices" with "6Mbps"!!!.... That is the kind of
"hardware" that I like (the one that give you the power, the capability,
the way to connect to your neighbor directly).

That is the kind of "hardware" that the BIG TELCOS in Peru (my country)
doesnt like and since 1988 they have got a written statement (we call it
"a law" (smile)) that says that all communications in the 2.4Ghz
frecuency that gives some kind of public service MUST get a licence from
the ministry (for "mortals" some licences can take more than 2 years
with the public institutions and some are never got).

The 2.4Ghz devices that are used for private use need a
"smaller/simpler" licence (nobody get them!).

The 2.4Ghz (or any frecuency) devices that send/receive waves that
"travel" more than 100 meters (300 feet) around... ALL are considered
public services and MUST get a "public service" licence from the Ministry.

The "6Mps x 60 Miles" is my dream.  Getting licencing from the Ministry
is everybody's nightmare.

I suggest that the OLPC get a law from the peruvian Ministry that
specify that ALL the wireless technology that will be used is evaluated
as a PRIVATE service and then the licensing will be simpler and easier
to get done.  The Ministry of Education must get the licences from the
Ministry of Telecommunication.

Once the XOs are used to transmit VOIP (Voice over IP) in remote
villages (and bypass the need to get the BIG TELCOS services) then a big
movement of the BIG TELCOS will be done.  They cannot afford that
someone install 250,000 "communication" devices (the XOs) in Peru that
will compete against them.  The way that they will attack is remenbering
that these devices are under the law of telecommunication because they
are using the 2.4Ghz.

Regards,

Javier