physic engines speed tests

Chris Hager chris at linuxuser.at
Tue Mar 18 09:29:52 EDT 2008

Hey all,

Josh and I now made some speed tests with both 2D physics engines -
Box2D and Chipmunk - and here are some results. One warning though: The
tests were made with Python, and for Box2D there's a library compiled
with swig, whereas Chipmunk's interface is done with ctypes. This may
change the results to Box2D's advantage, but is justifiable as our
interest right now is which performs better with Python and on the xo
laptop.

In the end, Box2D performs quite a bit better than Chipmunk, although it
has a ways larger library and many more functions. On a XO Laptop (build
650), the Box2D engine can easily handle 50 elements - almost twice what
we got from Chipmunk.

The tests capture frames per second and compare them with the number of
elements - in our case we add only balls. By pressing "1", 25 balls will
be added at mousepos. Each test is run with and without drawing the
elements on the screen.

Log and links:

  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Physic_Engines/Speed_Tests
  http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/elements