Switching between Arabic and French

Ralph A. Mack ralph at macksoft.com
Mon Mar 17 20:54:12 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have a question.

Schools in at least some countries in the Middle East and the Maghrib
typically teach in Arabic first and then a European language, typically
French or English. Therefore, I can envision students having to do two
written assignments, one in Arabic and another in French, for different
teachers in the same week. (I can imagine this issue would arise in
other areas as well.)

Short of switching the operating language of the device and restarting
it, is there a way to switch between entering Arabic language text and
French or English language text from activity to activity in the current
emulation images? If not, is this considered a desirable feature? Would
it be considered confusing? Has anybody suggested an alternative
approach for bilingual students? Has there been any feedback from folks
focusing on education in the Middle East or other affected areas about
this? Do they consider it important?

[Here's what puts the question squarely on the devel list....] Assuming
that some feature with the needed effect is in the cards, who is working
on it? Is it complete? If not, how can I help? While it would affect
many areas, I suspect it would be felt most sharply in Write (as might a
number of bi-di issues, at least in the last image I tried).

Lupestro