Problems with build 699, .i18n locale, and customization key

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Fri Mar 14 00:52:33 EDT 2008

On Mar 14, 2008, at 12:00 AM, Bryan Berry wrote:

> I have two problems related to the customization key and build 699.
>
> 1. Reflashing w/ customization key and os699 will wipe out .i18n
>
> As far as I can tell no way to customize the locale using the
> Customization key. The XO's that have arrived in Nepal do not have
> Nepal
> set as the country nor Nepali as the language in the firmware's
> Manufacturing Data. That means upon reflashing of the XO w/ a signed
> image, the XO defaults back to the language specified in the firmware,
> which is not Nepali.
>
> 2. No fz.zip file for 699. That means we can't use the customization
> key.

You can still use the customization key image to install apps.
Don't bother to put an OS on the key.   Place activities in the bundles
directory.    Boot the laptop - holding down the X gamepad key
(if liberated) or all four keys (if secured) - and it should install the
activities.

I'm updating the wiki...

> The wiki page for Customization Key says that we need the fs.zip
> file to
> install the customized build. I don't see an fs.zip in the build
> directory for 699. When might there be an fs.zip file for 699?

A signed version of release versions will be available, turning this
into a single step process.  For now a manual install of 699 is needed
before customization.

> We really want to use build 698 or 699 because the Nepali locale works
> properly in those builds but is not present in 656 or 653.

No, you want to use the released Update.1, not one of the
release candidates (698, 699).   There is a reason they are
candidates --- we are still testing that needed functionality
is present in the builds.

> It is quite critical that teachers and kids be able to reflash their
> XO's by simply sticking in a USB key and holding down the game
> buttons.
> I know some folks like John Gilmore feel that everyone has an
> inalienable right to access the firmware, but we have two pilot
> schools
> starting in one month where virtually none of the kids or teachers
> have
> every used computers. We need to make the restoration of the XO
> image as
> simple as possible during the beginning of the pilot. We want the
> teachers and kids to get comfortable w/ computers in general before we
> introduce them to flash u:\boot\q2D13.rom

Official release will be signed and support this operation.

wad