olpc-update, update.1, and activities

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Thu Mar 13 15:59:17 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
> The removal of activities seems to be happening under the assumption
>  that people will use a USB memory stick to upgrade their laptops.  Was
>  it only a few months ago that I was told, "Skip the USB install notes,
>  all the updating is going to happen via olpc-update from now on"?  Now
>  the story is "Countries can install unsupported activities on each
>  machine using a USB key: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customization_key".
>  (which unhelpfully wipes out the entire machine, including their
>  entire home directory, all saved work, their Journal, their activation
>  lease and their developer key if any).
>
>  Am I confused?

I think so.  Initial installation is by USB stick.  Upgrade via
olpc-update will work fine, but you'll have to use the customization
key (without the four-button erase-everything step) or other mechanism
(download, unzip) to install the activities.  The customization key
doesn't have to erase the flash.  I'll try to document this better.
  --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )