drawing, structured graphics

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 12:29:23 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
> Sayamindu,
>
>  I think Victor is asking for something at a higher level of abstraction;
>  particularly what goes by the name of a canvas in various toolkits.
>
>  I thought we were using goocanvas, or something like that on top of
>  cairo for TK canvas equivalent functionality...

Sugar is using hippo-canvas, which is pretty good for css-like
graphics but is very much of a work in progress and it's not very
convenient for completely free form graphics.

On the short term I suggest to use goocanvas which is more mature,
more convenient for free form graphics and has also simple layout
support. We should add it to the builds, it's small and useful. (the
API is very similar to libgnomecanvas which was originally a port of
tk canvas).

On the longer term I'm putting all my bets on Havoc plan:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2008-March/msg00017.html

Marco