A self-contained pseudo-dynamic xo library

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Thu Mar 13 05:35:35 EDT 2008

Friends,

In order to demonstrate that our that our bundles really don't require
require post-install hooks in order to function, I decided to attack the
"dynamic library" problem in its simplest possible form.

In the end, I wound up rebasing the Mako's make_index.py script on top
of Ivan's webserver (which is very quick!) and using the combination
as a wrapper around Browse's activity component.

(I understand that it's unsatisfying to have a webserver designed _not_
to be extensible and _not_ to be always-on, but the need to run
make_index.py stuff was really becoming a stumbling block. This way, we
get the dynamic library now and punt the extensibility question and the
services question until someone works out a sane semantics for them.)

At any rate, you can find and enjoy the "completed" work at

  http://dev.laptop.org/~mstone/Web-87.xo

The source code is available at

  http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/mstone/web-activity;a=shortlog;h=library-server

The bugs I've observed so far are

  a) PDF mime-types are not correctly detected by the server (which is
     just calling mimetypes.guess_type)

  b) The library bundles and template format in 697 don't appear to me
     to support bundles with localized names.

  c) The version of Radian that Ivan has in git doesn't support
     streaming replies; hence we have to load entire files into RAM
     before sending them. :(

  d) We don't flush our library-index when the filesystem changes.
     Probably straightforward to add, but beyond me tonight.

  e) The 'search' bundle's index.html page is showing up blank. :(

Thoughts?

Michael