Sugar jhbuild bug

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Wed Mar 12 12:26:28 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 5:17 PM, James Simmons
<jim.simmons at walgreens.com> wrote:

>  Tomeu,
>
>  The Suse repositories don't have RPMs for automake other than 1.9.
> However, you have given me an idea to try.  I noticed that automake's
> executeable has a version number in it, and it is symlinked to "automake".
> Maybe if I unlink "automake" in /usr/local/bin but leave everything else
> alone I can get the build to work.  If it works I'll update the wiki page
> for Suse.  I wasn't expecting to need two different versions of automake
> installed to do the build though.  I've compiled a lot of source for Linux
> but I never ran into anything like this.

In the hope it helps:

tomeu at tomeu-laptop:~/sugar-jhbuild/source/sugar-tomeu$ ls -l /usr/bin/automake*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     26 2007-05-17 21:18 /usr/bin/automake ->
/etc/alternatives/automake
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 270996 2006-06-26 13:01 /usr/bin/automake-1.7
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 221996 2006-12-06 16:55 /usr/bin/automake-1.9
tomeu at tomeu-laptop:~/sugar-jhbuild/source/sugar-tomeu$ ls -l
/etc/alternatives/automake
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 2007-05-17 21:18 /etc/alternatives/automake
-> /usr/bin/automake-1.9

>  I have another machine running xubuntu, which I believe is based on "gutsy"
> and has RPMs for Sugar.  That has worked very well for me, but sharing with
> the Read activity is broken and since my app is a variant of Read and needs
> to do sharing I need a better test environment.  I was hoping to get my
> openSuse box to be that environment, the build sugar-jhbuild on xubuntu
> after removing the sugar RPMs.

You may want to run several instances of the sugar emulator in the same machine:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_with_sugar-jhbuild#Running_multiple_instances

Tomeu