Sugar jhbuild bug

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Wed Mar 12 09:56:01 EDT 2008

I'm trying to set up sugar-jhbuild on my OpenSuse 10.2 computer.  When I
was satisfying all the dependencies reported by the "build" option I
noticed one that seemed very odd.  It wanted automake 1.7.  Open Suse
installs automake 1.9, and I would have thought anything 1.7 or greater
would work.  I satisfied all the other dependencies first, hoping this
would go away, but it stayed to the end and "build" would not budge
until I fixed it.  I downloaded automake 1.7.9 source and installed it
in /usr/local/bin, and that seemed to be enough to get sugar-jhbuild
working again.  Then I got this message:

configure.ac:8: require Automake 1.9, but have 1.7.9
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

That's a Catch-22 if I ever saw one.  I let the build keep running,
skipping over the modules that won't compile.  It's pretty obvious that
I won't have anything workable afterwards, though.  I would guess there
are a lot of sugar-jhbuild users on this list, and I'd appreciate any
suggestions.  I can easily uninstall automake 1.7.9, the question is
what to do after that.

Thanks,

James Simmons