Raise the level of the Hardware specifications... or let's do some field tests!

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Mon Mar 10 15:05:05 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to pass this info to some "hardware" development list... but
I don't know where it is or if it exists.

Anyway, maybe some person can register this "bug" (?) to the tracking
system... if you consider that this is a bug.. or if it is something
valuable to be taken in account...

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification

      Environmental specifications

Maximum altitude: --15m to 3048m (14.7 to 10.1 PSIA) (operating), --15m
to 12192m (14.7 to 4.4 PSIA) (non-operating);

The Huancavelica city (big city, poor city) is at 12,100 feet (around
3,688 meters) altitude.  There are tons of computers in that city, they
work without any modification.  I think that the 3.048 m altitude
capacity must been raised... maybe it has not been tested accurately..
or.. other reasons? The more isolated children are in the 4,500 meters
(around 15,000 feet)

Cuzco city is at 12,500 feet = 3,810 meters altitude. (so... no XOs for
Cuzco city.. and that is the capital of the region... there are hundreds
of smaller villages in higher altitude in the Cuzco surrounding areas).

Table
------------------------------------
10,000 feet = 10.11 PSIA
11,000 feet = 9.73 PSIA
12,000 feet = 9.35 PSIA
13,000 feet = 8.96 PSIA
14,000 feet = 8.63 PSIA
15,000 feet = 8.29 PSIA

Andahuaylas city = 13,000 feet

The maximum altitude in "hardware specification" for all the equipment
should be raised.  In Peru the towns (villages) that you can find in the
3,048 meters vecinity are not the poorest or the ones that are more
isolated.  Our national president (Mr. Alan GarcĂ­a) launch a law
proposal to do all territories over the 3,200 meters altitude a "tax
free" territories.  That is because, in the words of the President, and
according to all our national statiscall records, the deep poverty and
the isolation starts at 3,000 meters altitude.  Below the 3,000 meters
altitude... well... there is poverty in whole Peru... but some tests
should be done to see if the XOs (and the rest of the hardware) can work
at more than 3,048 meters altitude.  I think they will work because I
have seen normal standard PCs and all kind of equipment working at 4,500
meters altitude.  That is the altitude were all the isolated communities
(the ones that need more our help) are located.  There are around 5,000
villages and small communities (with 100 families each village,
averaged) over the 4,000 meters altitude.  Deep poverty in those areas.

Maybe the manufacturer (Quanta?) can put more light over the issue.  My
guess is that the capacity of the XOs is underestimated by the
manufacturer...

Best regards,

Javier

Some useful for those interested in the issue...

About PSIAs: http://www.aempower.com/Faqs.aspx?FaqCategoryID=30
About the 2006 peruvian map of poverty: www.foncodes.gob.pe