Updates from Nepal's Pilot Schools

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 21:15:15 EDT 2008

Martin, thanks for your interest. In general, we need funds for
"program activities" more than specific equipment. Program activities
includes salaries, office space, office equipment, Internet connection,
teacher training, programming workshops, Nepali wikimania events, etc.
Basically everything except physical infrastructure. It has been much
easier get funds for the XO's than program activities.

Why do we need to pay people? The core guys in the team like Rabi
Karmacharya, Saurav Dev Bhatta, and Ram Singh have families to support
and they aren't independently wealthy. They can't work 60 hours a week
on OLPC for free, and in fact they've been working at least that much
for the last 6 months since we formalized OLE Nepal.

It took 4x as much time and effort for us to get funding for our program
activities than the XO's. There were periods where no one got paid and
believe me, some guys' wives were not happy :) I haven't taken any
salary yet but I don't have to financially support my parents, younger

Long story short, if you're interested contributing even a small amount,
we would prefer it be for general program activities. And we would much
appreciate it! Our online contribution site is currently offline, but if
you or anyone else is interested in contributing, I can give you the
details by private message.

Regards,

Bryan Berry
Systems Engineer