Updates from Nepal's Pilot Schools

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Sun Mar 9 13:37:04 EDT 2008

> Regarding the suggestion of LED bulbs - a smart person on another list
> said that many brands of LED bulbs are also prone to failure due to bad
> power - so don't treat them as a panacea.

+1

I personally tested a variety of AC-powered LED light bulbs.  Not a
single one survived more than eight months -- on clean San Francisco
power.  There's a reason that these are not for sale in average
hardware stores -- they aren't ready for prime time.  The LEDs don't
seem to fail, but the circuitry around them certainly does.  They all
advertise 100,000 hour lifetimes, too :--( don't believe it.

Most of the developing world uses linear fluorescent bulbs, which are
more power-efficient than the vast majority of LEDs (and more efficient
than compact fluorescents).

I suggest a return to the main topic (laptops / education).

	John