Updates from Nepal's Pilot Schools

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Sun Mar 9 08:07:18 EDT 2008

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Bryan Berry wrote:

> David, good idea.
>
> there are only about 6 light bulbs at the Bishwamitra (smaller school)
> and less than 5 at Bashuki the larger school.

that may not be enough to matter. on one of the wiki pages it mentioned
25-30 as a number. switching to LED's will save about 90% of the power
that the bulbs currently use (plus they will last essentially forever)

> I will have to ask Ram (our power guy) about what's available on the
> local market.

LED lights are not readily available in the local market even in the US,
they tend to be internet orders only

> Regards to getting some for free, it would be great if you could put us
> in contact w/ someone to donate them. In my experience it can be very
> expensive time-wise to seek donations from companies w/out an existing
> personal connection. Sometimes it just cheaper to buy something than to
> spend the time trying to get a donation. That said, a strong personal
> connection can make it very easy to get a donation.

I don't have any personal contacts.

David Lang