State of the update.1

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Mar 7 17:14:15 EST 2008

Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Friday 07 March 2008, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>> Walter Bender wrote:
>>> Let's you and I take a look at the console problem. I cannot imagine
>>> it is difficult to sort out.
>> The problem is just that we do not load our customized keymaps
>> because a clean integration in the kbd package would need a bit
>> of work to detect OLPC at run-time and prepend a new "olpc/"
>> directory to the search path in this case.
>>
>> To make it happen in Update.1 quickly, I vote for a quick & dirty
>> Pilgrim hack: we'd basically just have to overwrite es.map.gz and
>> pt.map.gz in /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/ with the versions
>> attached to the bug.
>>
>> This will gain us time to find out how to integrate olpc
>> keymaps properly with the package maintainer in the next
>> release cycle.
>>
>> Dennis, how does it sound to you?
>
> Id rather do it right the first time.

How about a middle-ground solution?  If you can branch the kbd
package for me (needed anyway until we rebase on latest Fedora),
I could replace the keyboard maps in the OLPC specific build of
the package.

In another universe where days have 48 hours, we could even
take the opportunity to drop all the useless keyboards that
do not exist for our platform.

> But if we cant do it right in a reasonable timeframe then it would work.

:-(  I'm leaving tomorrow morning and I'm not sure when I'll
get decent connectivity again.  If this becomes the only
blocker bug left before then, I guess anybody with a Fedora
account could go on and do what's described above.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/