State of the update.1

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Mar 7 11:43:42 EST 2008

If "trolling" is what it takes to exact such a thorough response, so
be it ;)
Still, I apologize if you felt that snippy remark was addressed at
you personally.

On Mar 7, 2008, at 16:58 , C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-March/011509.html
> (a thread you participated in)
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6598#comment:12

I indeed participated in this thread, but I found "When update.1 is
released, we'll provide an 'activity pack' for G1G1 folks" to not be
exactly satisfactory. And I'd imagine the support crew is looking
forward to the gazillions of "where did my apps go" requests ...

> It was mentioned as a release note item.

Excuse my ignorance, but I cannot find any update.1 release notes for
build 696 which removed the activities.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_Group_Release_Notes stops at 694

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Update.1_691 is almost empty

http://www.google.com/search?q=update.1-696+release-notes comes up empty

> Again, I apologize that this was not better communicated, but I am
> not, in fact, the release manager or the build manager, or anything.
> I'm just a software engineer who's trying to make things work.

I understand. You don't really have to answer my questions if this is
not actually your job (especially when your communicating gets you
into friendly fire). And if nobody feels its his/her job, maybe that
position should be created?

> I hope that in my voluminious emailing
> this week I've done at least a little bit of retrospective
> documentation.

Yes, thanks.

> It may well
> be that we need a new mailing list specifically for the community to
> keep track of deployment issues; the weekly emails might not be giving
> activity and content authors enough insight into the actual
> deployments.

I would love that. Also, I'm really unhappy to hear almost zero
feedback from the pilots, let alone the deployments.

Thank you,

- Bert -