User's customizations

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Fri Mar 7 10:24:53 EST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
> Regarding what is in the build "core",  Scott said
>  > The "core" activities are just those which we insist all countries
>  > include on the left hand side of the (current) activity bar.
>
>  Then there are those individuals who prefer to organize things their
>  way.  The second thing I've changed on my XO is which activities get
>  shown on the left hand side of the current activity bar.  [The first
>  thing I changed on my XO was to get rid of the "frame auto-raise".]

I added "(current)" to my original statement above because there is in
fact a much different organization of the Home screen proposed for the
future.  Currently, /usr/share/sugar/data/activities.default is not
under /home and thus is inaccessible to the customization process.
Arguably this is a bug, and I'd love to see patches, subject to the
constraint that everything in /home should be considered volatile and
no changes to /home should prevent sugar from starting -- a goal we
are a long way away from, but I want to see that we're making forward,
not backward, progress on that front.

In any case, allowing customiation of activity order seems like a
really good update.2 feature, if it's not completely made unnecessary
by the Home view changes in update.2 (or if the Home view changes
don't end up landing for update.2, etc, etc).  If the patch is small,
I could see considering it for update.1, but I don't see it as a
blocking feature (especially absent patch-in-hand).  I would like to
see a final Update.1 released next week (or at least a release
candidate we expect to hold up to be the final Update.1), and now is
not the time for new features.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )