Cerebro performance

Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos ypod at mit.edu
Fri Mar 7 01:47:23 EST 2008

cerebro now offers (in command-line!)
- chat  (just type text in the console)
- file transfer (type in console: /sendfile)
- view of network tree layout
- information about all other nodes in the network (nickname, colors,
keys, etc)

Performance  (remember that this is a mesh test, no servers were used):

On a total of 10 XOs, I was able to share a 2MB file from one host with
the remaining 9 hosts (a total of 18MB) in 30 secs (a virtual speed of
about 4.8Mbits). However, the sender used the broadcast address
(ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) at 1Mbit!

Because the file was literally broadcasted, most transmissions were
successfully received at multiple receivers and the virtual speed [1]
got boosted almost 5 times. The virtual speed should actually be 10Mbits
(!), so there is plenty of room for improvement.

A test with about 50 nodes will be attempted over the weekend. By adding
more nodes to the network I expect that overall file transfer
performance will actually improve even more.

The chat is always available, before, during and after the file transfer.

Cerebro is now ready to be fully tested in command-line. Help is still
needed to connect with sugar/telepathy!

[1] By virtual speed I mean the speed of a TCP-based unicast transmission.