Why is Terminal 'extra' ?

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Thu Mar 6 15:26:04 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Walter Bender <walter at laptop.org> wrote:
> This whole discussion has gone awry. The presumed "core" activities
>  had better be about streamlining the build engineering process, not
>  the epistemological goals of the project. We cannot ship laptops with[out]
>  learning tools, of which the terminal is one. More later, when I
>  amback online.

I don't think the discussion has gone awry.  People seem to generally
understand what we are trying to do here.  The "core" activities are
just those which we insist all countries include on the left hand side
of the (current) activity bar.  We have another 3 activities in the
library which we don't insist they include on the activity bar (yet?)
but which must be on the laptop for field maintenance and debugging,
if nothing else.  There is no statement being made about
epistemological goals.  Walter (and the deployment team) is in charge
of convincing countries to include a sane set of activities in their
customization kit to actually permit the full learning potential of
the machine to be exploited, and I believe he is succeeding.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )