default jabber server?

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at collabora.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 02:33:07 EST 2008

John Watlington wrote:

> Morgan,
>    Did you follow the thread last week where using the instructions
> you put into the Wiki didn't work ?   Using the old instructions did.
>
> At this point, I've set up over a half dozen ejabberd servers using
> the old directions, and collaboration works.

John,

I saw that thread, and the page I just mentioned -
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Installing_ejabberd - is a completely new
rewrite that I posted on the wiki yesterday, based on a walkthrough for
Ubuntu that I posted on my blog[0] last Thursday. I've had at least one
report of success using the instructions I blogged (and it worked for me).

[0]
http://morgancollett.wordpress.com/2008/02/27/olpc-community-jabber-servers-ejabberd-200-from-source/

I'm not sure what you mean by "old instructions", but all that was on
the wiki as of last week was
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ejabberd_Configuration (originally by Rob
McQueen but edited by various people), and I agree that the shared
roster section had errors - I think due to edits by various people that
deviated from the original but weren't fully tested. I'll check this
page and rectify any remaining errors I can identify.

I have seen that you can create shared rosters from the command line
using mod_ctlextra, so my next step is to test that and amend
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Installing_ejabberd (the walkthrough) to use
that method, and http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ejabberd_Configuration (the
comprehensive developer page) to mention it as an alternative.

Regards
Morgan