Need Help

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Tue Mar 4 17:41:19 EST 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Michael Stone wrote:

> As Tomeu said, Rainbow has detected that your activity's directory,
> /home/olpc/activities/Qirat.activity, is writable by the activity.
> Activities are not permitted to modify their own bundles. Consequently,
> Rainbow scuttled the launch.

That's good of it.

> Tomeu: what do you suggest Rainbow should do in response to this kind of
> assertion failure? Should we really try to print a more readable
> explanation of what failed, given the degree to which such explanations
> would bloat the code-base? Also, if so, does this message need to be
> localized?

I would suggest printing a URL to a page on wiki.laptop.org that has more
information and/or an error code with a link to look up the error code.
(I prefer the former, but the latter could save a few bytes (that I think
are probably not worth saving) by storing only one URL for looking up the
problems, plus the error code strings/numbers, combining them at error
print time.)

-- Asheesh.

--
If you do something right once, someone will ask you to do it again.