Multiple Questions from a SysAdmin

sulochan acharya sulochan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 08:25:04 EST 2008

> 1. How can I cryptographically sign my own custom NAND image? We will
> need to do custom images for our pilot. For example, we need to include
> the Nepali activities we have built, Gcompris, and SocialCalc, that are
> not part of the standard build. The 6th graders at our pilot schools
> will require a different image than the 2nd graders.
>
> I have looked at the wiki page on building custom images and it looks
> fairly difficult. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Building_custom_images
>
> Is there a way to cheat hard labor by using nandwrite or nanddump to
> simply copy customized image from an existing XO to a blank USB key?

First get into the usb. I think U: stands for usb drive. Then you can
simply use
nand-copy and nand-save commands to do that.

> 4. When I turn on an XO it always shows Mesh Networks 1, 6, and 11 even
> if there are no other XO's around. Why is this? I have always presumed
> that Network 1 was the XO's own instance of the mesh in case it didn't
> see a school server. But what about the other two?

Just to add a few points: channel 1,6,11 are used by the mesh. These
are the three channels with least overlap. I guess we can associate a
XO with one of them to always look at that channel first. All three
appear even though thre is no mesh associated with it.

- talk to you later
sulochan