WDS problems observed in today's testing

Kim Hawtin kim at hawtin.net.au
Mon Mar 3 01:17:09 EST 2008

Javier Cardona wrote:
> What I recall is 50% duty cycle and a channel grade of 22/100.  The
> channel grade takes into account not only the duty cycle but also the
> noise floor.
> I did not re-check those numbers after turning the AP off, but there
> was a drastic improvement of the channel energy profile.
>
> The limit of concurrent users for a low-end AP like the WRT54G is ~30.

these APs are capable of ~65 concurrent users.

at linux.conf.au this year we had associated clients regularly hitting
over 60 clients *per* WRT54GL. we had about 25 installed around the venue.

the maximum associated clients we saw on one AP was 68.
we were using the default install of OpenWRT 7.09.

> But in the capture we see that the AP is wasting most of its time
> transmitting WDS frames at low rates.  That is very likely to be the
> reason why we could not get more than 17 laptops associated.

regards,

Kim