Emulating the School Server hardware (first things first)

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Mon Mar 3 00:50:31 EST 2008

Hello Chris, Hi Daf,

Great news.

I am located in Peru, tomorrow (today!) On Monday, we (a group of
volunteers in Peru) will
mount a small lab for helping the global OLPC efforts.

I have check the info about the School Server, I understand that the
info on the wiki can be
a little old or not upgraded... no problem.

We would thank if you update us with the configuration that we must set
up for the school
servers, because I have found this contradictory info:

a) Networking devices: there is instructions (written) that the school
server must have 4
network connections (UTP) to avoid the use of external switches.  But
there is a diagram
(image) that shows an external switch to develop a network.

b) we can use wi.fi access point (linksys) to emulate the OLPC access
point... but we need
confirmation about what trademark are you using for the access points...
in this way we
can use the same.

c) Are the School Servers that will be installed in Peru without fans?
(wich motherboard)
What is the intended energy that the School Server must consume?  This
includes only the
CPU or includes the switches/monitor/modem and other equipment related
to the CPU?
What about the access point?

Finally, we have strong interest in "connecting" this Linux (XOs or
regular native installions
over x86 machines) to the "normal" Windows systems.  The most possible
scenary that
the OLPC project will find here in Peru is that it will be needed to
send a "USB mule"
to the nearest point/town with regular internet access (internet cafe or
"cabina").  We
are studying the Wizzy and all the UUCP related issues.  We have
detected the need
to particularize some aspects due to the nature of Internet in Peru
(mostly related to
the dominant position of some telecoms here and its reluctant
participation in something
that will not be under they control... more than 10 years of this
position will not
change over the night).  If you have solutions studied for this "USB
mule" transport
then we will stop our worries and studies and turn to other issues,
please let us know.

Thanks and we hope to collaborate with our small forces here.

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru