Olpc3 vs Joyride

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sun Jun 29 16:57:44 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> I reanimated my script that shows differences between the latest
> joyride and candidate builds:

Thanks!  I'd noticed it was down, and missed it.

>> http://dev.laptop.org/~bert/olpc3-joyride.html
>
> ... and in particular added a section to easily see what packages are
> in olpc3 and not in joyride, and vice versa.

olpc3 is a dead branch.  As promised, joyride was shifted to the F9
repositories once olpc3 got the packages to the state where things
booted, etc., and olpc3's mission in life is over.

I also turned off builds on the 'faster' branch for now, since
shifting to the F9 repositories had broken them and (I believe that)
all the interesting features of the faster branch have been merged
into joyride by now.

Consider olpc3 and faster to have served the function of debian's
"experimental":
http://www.us.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-resources#s-experimental

The olpc3-vs-joyride difference engine would be more useful if it
could show the differences between update.1 and joyride.

> There are not only differences in package versions, but also in which
> packages are in. I wondered, for example, why csound is missing from
> joyride ...

The F9 merge put a lot of things in flux, and we're working on
restoring roughly the previous package set.  See trac #7353 for an
analysis of (some of) the unwanted cruft which has snuck in, and tabs
on our efforts to get it back out again.

According to http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/cscott/pilgrim;a=commitdiff;h=a507d77af0504af3668fe6db886dcc729224b516
csound was replaced by an 'olpcsound' package.  You'd have to ask
either Dennis or the csound maintainers for more details.

If you find other packages in a comparison to update.1 which are
either (a) present, but shouldn't be, and now already mentioned at
trac #7353, or (b) absent but shouldn't be, please file a trac bug.
Assign it to dgilmore, cc cscott, and add that it blocks 7353 if
appropriate.  Thanks!
  --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )