OLPC-Update + RPMs WAS:Re: OLPC XO Opera browser as Sugar activity

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sat Jun 28 10:00:33 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> Am 27.06.2008 um 20:50 schrieb Erik Garrison:
>> We already have yum installed on the XO.
>
> Only in the devel builds. You might never have wondered what the
> devel_ prefix means in
>
> http://pilgrim.laptop.org/~pilgrim/olpc/streams/update.1/build708/devel_jffs2/
>
> but there was a time when there was a user build and a developer
> build, and the user build did not include the non-essential tools like
> yum. Might be interesting to see how much flash could be saved
> nowadays if those tools were removed.

It is a significant amount of storage -- the RPM database alone is
around 16M -- but the consensus at 1cc seems to be that it is worth
it, since it's hard to install RPM later if you don't already have RPM
installed, etc.

The current list of OLPC_DEVEL_PACKAGES at:
  http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/cscott/pilgrim;a=blob;f=streams.d/olpc-development.stream;hb=joyride#l169
includes:

rpm
yum
yum-metadata-parser
openssh-server
wget
xterm
which
file
tree
xorg-x11-twm
gdb
ltrace
strace
pciutils
bzip2
unzip
lrzsz
xorg-x11-apps
dbench

Of these, only xorg-x11-twm, pciutils, dbench, xorg-x11-apps, and
xterm strike me as obvious candidates for pruning.  What do other folk
feel?
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )