Translation Technology

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Jun 27 19:47:15 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 05:46:27PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> Yesterday, Sayamindu, Jim, Chris, Eben, Dennis, and I met to discuss
> what technology we could provide to improve the experience of producing
> and consuming translations and other localization data on the XO.
>
> We sought to address three questions:
>
>  1) How can we make "some" (then "every") string translatable.
>
>  2) How do we distribute translations?
>
>  3) How can we separate translations from builds so that new translation
>     improvements can be incorporated long after an operating system is
>     released?
>
> Our conclusions were that we could satisfactorily address these
> questions by providing:
>
>  * a disconnected on-XO translation interface.
>
>      - Could be implemented as an activity named Translate. That
>        activity might:
>
>          + spider the build for translatable strings in activities and
>            Sugar.
>
>          + suggest appropriate terminology as possible.

VirTaal (http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/virtaal/index) might be a
good base for such activity being a Python/GTK application. But it is in
early stages though.
I had a (secret :) plan to make a translate activity based on it once
it reaches a mature level.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team